Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Monday 7 May 2012

Breaking eggs



As the flour began to fall lightly through the sieve, I watched as the inside of the bowl turned white. Placing the sieve down, I reached for the first egg and sent it crashing down over the rim. A sudden crack filled the room as the contents splashed out into the dusty flour mound below. Soon the spotless work top became littered with shell shrapnel and I continued on, adding each ingredient until they were all together at last. I liked watching everything slowly come together with each stir of the spoon. It was like alchemy.
Once the final spoonful of mixture was dropped into its little paper case, I knew what was coming. I had no control over it and before I realised what was happening, my finger had made its way into the bowl, worked its way around the side and with a flourish, ended up in my mouth; my sweet reward.
Once they were in the safety of the oven, I had nothing to do but wait. As I surveyed the aftermath, I thought about the times in my life when things seemed so chaotic and messy. In the eye of the storm, it can feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel and the knock-back is permanent. It never is however. Soon enough, if we’re lucky, we can come out of the other side, stronger and wiser with a much bigger heart.
In order to make a cake, we have to break a few eggs. Nothing is for nothing and every difficult experience in life holds inside it a beautiful gift. A gift of bringing us one step closer to the amazing person we truly are inside.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to say "life" would be a lot easier if we just made it from a box mix. But I realized, even then, we've got to break a few eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I broke lots of eggs in my life. Fortunately I didn't turn into a cake or I would have eaten myself alive already!
    Nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Mitch. It really would be but probably not as interesting. :-)
    Haha, nice to know that despite breaking some eggs you are still here to share your story Jay :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love...