Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Saturday 7 July 2012

At the end of the day


The last remaining minutes of the day's light holds on loosely as the planet spins 67,000mph away from the sun's bright rays, plunging us into darkness once again. As I reach over and turn off the bedside lamp in the quiet hotel room, I notice that now, with the absence of light inside, evening looks instantly brighter. The air suddenly drops a few degrees and a chill sweeps through the gap in the slightly open window and onto my face. I momentarily close my eyes.
As I look out over the tree tops and down towards the lake, the air conditioning unit whirs into action and fills the room with a hypnotic hum. Light from the NEC shimmers peacefully on the water and I am suddenly aware of all the different colours around me. The Canada geese that blocked the path this morning, are settling down for the night.
A wave of melancholy washes over me as I remember the last time I was in this city. Three years on, I realise how much I have changed.
There are times in life when we are met with challenges so personally encompassing, we think that we will never be the same again...and we never are. Everything that happens to us and every person we meet takes us into a new chapter of our life. Lesson learnt, we move forward...Sometimes easily, sometimes not so much. But we are all survivors and have an inner strength that we aren't aware of until we have no choice but to summon it forth.
I know that I really should get ready for bed in a minute as I have an early start... But for now I stand transfixed at the window, looking out to witness the end of another day.

4 comments:

  1. The first lines of your description made me think of the Higg's Boson, which has finally been discovered a few days ago.
    And then, reading on, I thought: how much more 60s and melancholy it would have been without that bloody AC unit on, with that on-the-road mix of perspiration and gnats...
    Nice piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay, that's interesting that you made that connection. It was a very significant week wasn't it. Trust a bloody A/C unit to change the mood...lol. Perspiration and gnats bring back good memories of tours gone by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to simply quote back to you your own words, but I especially love these statements:

    "...we think that we will never be the same again...and we never are..."

    " ...we move forward...Sometimes easily, sometimes not so much. But we are all survivors and have an inner strength that we aren't aware of until we have no choice but to summon it forth."

    Very thought-filled and profound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mitch, that's awesome. Hope all is well with you guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love...