Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Wednesday 31 December 2014

The edge of tomorrow



Another train journey, another fiery sunset burning across the sky.
People on the carriage are reading, and texting, and stretching and dozing. I want to pick up the book that I’ve been trying to finish for the past month…but I'm too sleepy. The music playing deep in my ears seems to be putting me into a trance. Lost in my thoughts, I drift over the trees towards the glowing horizon. The last of the day’s light reflects off glass and steel, temporarily blinding me between buildings.
Events of the past year have left me tired and disorientated.
Flying halfway back across the world, I discovered a new home and a new chapter.
I said ‘I love you’ to my mum for the last time, immensely grateful for one final, beautiful conversation. I’ve cried though two funerals of people I adored, and danced at the arrival of my gorgeous baby niece - The cycle of life, of love never-ending.
The train is warm and cosy. With hot air wafting out through vents under the seats, I unzip my coat. My hand reaches up towards the ice-cold window as we continue to speed through the city.
And I close my eyes.
There is a second where everything seems to stop spinning, just for the briefest of moments. Lost somewhere in-between the end of today and a new beginning, I suddenly feel at peace.
And as the final hours of this year drift slowly away, I am hopeful for a brighter tomorrow.
Hopeful for more love, more light, more laughter.

My love to you all, always.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing and sentiments, Jeff. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope 2015 will be a wonderful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend! That really means a lot. Wishing you all the joy for the coming year.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps best put by Anthony Brandt: “Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.”
    It is great to have you with us ...living consciously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's so true! Thank you for this. And I feel the same way about you! We are a family too :-)

      Delete

Share the love...