Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Monday 4 May 2015

Boxfresh



It was a beautiful spring afternoon when I first spotted them. I wasn't even searching - they just appeared out of nowhere.
Completely smitten, I walked through the doorway and stepped onto the escalator. I watched shoppers glide down in the opposite direction, occasionally making eye contact with me.
I made my way over to the wall and plucked them from the shelf. Sitting down, I took off my well-worn shoes and laced up the new ones.
The second I saw their reflection in the mirror, I knew they were meant for me.
I was crazy in love.
And so, later that evening as a burning sunset surrounded us, we stepped out together for the first time.
We danced, carefree, into the early hours of the morning. We went out for brunch the next day. For a walk in the afternoon. And the cinema that evening. It was perfect.
Until they began to hurt. A lot.
Firm leather had started to rub unforgivingly on my ankle and Achilles heel. Every step was agony. The further I walked, the more uncomfortable they became. The sides continued to dig in cruelly, forgetting all the good times we were having together. The honeymoon was over.
I stoically wore them every day that week. Some days were worse than others.
Meanwhile, all around me, flowers were bursting out of the ground and nests were being built high up in the trees.
And then, one day, I noticed that the pain had completely vanished. There was no longer any rubbing or discomfort. All that remained was the gentle click-clack of soles meeting the pavement – just my handsome new shoes and I under a perfect blue sky.
And in amongst the swirling cherry blossom, I suddenly felt very lucky: Lucky to be healthy, alive, and surrounded by love.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeff,
    I've quietly enjoyed your posts since a while, but this post is just too particularly and painfully familiar... Isn't this just the regular way we experience the building of a relationship with all things and beings around us? Isn't this the expression of how, in general, we urge to "fit"? How "size" and "shape" - physically, psychologically, intellectually, spiritually - matters to us? This post particularly made me reflect upon the things that I feel too "tight" in my life (constraining me) or too "loose" (that I cannot control), and upon my ability to adjust/adapt to new situations so that I can meet expectations and/or to inspire changes in others to meet mine... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      Thank you so much! It really means a lot to me. Here's to our ability to adapt and grow.
      Hope you're well, my friend.

      Delete

Share the love...