Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Monday 21 May 2012

Strike




The ball rolls up the ramp and gently clunks into the one in front. My favourite is still the sparkling blue one which reminds me of a moonlit swimming pool... But that was too heavy. Shame. It totally went with my outfit. Then there was the mauve ball...too light. Eventually I had settled on the matt green one which was just right. I wondered if Goldilocks would have had this much trouble choosing.
I slide my fingers into the holes and take a step forward for the penultimate time. Swinging the ball, it lurches forward as I release my grip and watch as it hits the floor with a dull thud. Suddenly picking up momentum it rolls quickly down the alley in an emerald blur and smashes slightly off-centre. All but two pins remain. And there they stand, taunting me in the distance...
I wait impatiently for my trusty ball to come rolling back as I visualise the pins falling to the ground, followed by rapturous applause and fireworks. 2nd place was within my grasp.
A flutter of excitement grows in my tummy as I send the ball flying towards its final destination. It is veering dangerously to the left but that's ok. It will correct itself in a minute...any minute now...and so I believe right up until the moment it plops into the gutter.
Shrugging my shoulders I turn, laugh and make my way back to my cold beer.
Sometimes in life things don't turn out the way we would like them to. As much as we want it, we don't always get that job, that person doesn't always love us back and our lottery numbers never seem to come up. But that's life. Everything happens for a reason and maybe, something even more amazing is waiting just around the corner.



Just to let you know that issue 3 of the wonderful PoV magazine will be out next month and once again, I am honoured to have a piece featured in it so will let you know when it's out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've never heard of selecting a bowling ball because it "totally went with my outfit"! It makes such perfect sense and is what I'll have to do in future. Then again, I developed my fashion sense in NY, which means everything I wear is black, which means every black bowling ball I've ever used has totally gone with my outfit. I was ahead of my time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, well there's no need for clashing colours, even if one is bowling...lol. You were so ahead of the colour curve and I think next time, I will take a leaf out of your book. Maybe I will even wear my silver trousers next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love...