Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Friday 26 July 2013

Connected


I love this time of day. The bustling city is changing gears to another pace. Final splashes of golden sun illuminate the grass below and cast shadows across the lawn as I sit looking out. Within a few short minutes, day will become night once more. I watch the last rays of evening light gently cover the city in its golden blanket, and even though there is still a pale blue sky, the street lamps have already come on to see us through the small hours.
Today I saw a picture of the earth taken from beneath Saturn’s rings. And today I saw a picture of a train wreck...I will go to sleep this night, a different person.
As I look down towards my hands, I suddenly notice the orange stains from the dead lilies that I placed into the bin earlier. An image of the child presenting the bouquet to me last week flashes through my mind, making me smile; gestures of kindness and gratitude that will never be forgotten.
I read somewhere that London was hotter than Bali! These warm summer days quickly give way to cool nights, and as a chill blows across my skin, I realise that the shadows are no more; we have spun away from the sun.
I am contemplating going inside for a hot Green tea when a thought occurs to me: In this moment, everything is happening; someone is laughing, and someone is crying; someone is arriving, and someone is dying. With 7.1 billion of us all sharing this planet, we are connected in ways we don't even know; variations of a theme with beating hearts and hopes and fears. We are family.
And as I make my way inside to put the kettle on, I know I'm not the only one.

4 comments:

  1. I hate this time of year, I prefer the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you? Winter is lovely when it is clear and crisp. You won't have too long to wait :-)

      Delete
  2. Maybe one day you'll be shooting a photo of whatever, and realize that only confirms our obsession with time. Or where does the photo start and the world end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that has got me thinking...these are good questions, my friend!

      Delete

Share the love...