Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Sunday 4 March 2012

Back to the future


This afternoon, I time travelled.
It came like a bolt out of the blue. Trees and pavement instantly melted away and before I knew it, I had been grabbed and thrown backwards into 1989. Verse to bridge to chorus; each chord holding me tighter and deeper in the reverie. I watched as I lay on my single bed looking up at my prized Kylie poster. Feeling every single piece of emotion rush back through my veins, I had no choice but to stay in the moment, reliving every second of a first love and giant dreams. Three and a half minutes later, I was back to 2012 with a jolt.
This shuffle button was causing me to leap backwards and forwards erratically without any concern for sequentiality. I had only just got my bearings when it happened again. 2009; I observed myself looking out of the tour bus window towards rolling Italian countryside. Engulfed by my history, I witnessed it all over again passively; the warm evening sunset reflecting off the glass on which I rested my head; it all felt so real. I was back.
Once again, the song faded out as I was picked up and flicked back to the future. And this continued on for the duration of my journey. Some songs made my stomach ache; some brought a big smile to my face.
Music is the soundtrack to our lives and as we move forward, certain songs will act as a personalised time travel machine. If we are lucky enough, these tunes will connect us to a moment in our story and be a reminder of how far we have come on our journey and how far we have yet to go.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    I have just given you a blog award!
    Please, pass by and collect it on my blog whenever you have time. Your blog has been mentioned with four more in the "news and curiosity" section of my blog.
    You can give the award to five more blogs of your choice with less than 200 followers.

    Have a great beginning of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jay,
    That's awesome. Thank you so much! I will pop by to collect it. I need a good Oscar speech that includes jokes and tears.... Sounds like a really interesting thing to do and I need to look into it.
    Hope you had a good weekend and the week ahead shines brightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff: How true it is, the ability of music to transport! It's fascinating--there must have been studies done on why that is. I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to this in today's blog post, since it fits in so beautifully with my thoughts on magic of various sorts. And regarding time travel, you might like the fun Billy Collins poem if you don't know it: http://www.billy-collins.com/2005/06/nostalgia_billy.html

      Delete
  3. Hi Christie. It is fascinating isn't it and it completely universal. Thanks so much for linking me in your blog! That's so great. Your new blog post is really lovely btw and I don't know that poem so will check it out now.
    Have a great day and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, I was not seeing until today that you had new posts. I have missed so much!

    I love this. You are so right about the impact of music on our lives and our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sometimes Google does funny things...Music and scent always have such strong attachments to moments in our lives don't they. I still have 'ceilings' stuck in my head by the way hehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love...