Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Saturday 19 February 2011

Journeys





When I was little I used to sit there in my maths class, staring into the distance towards the airport and watch as the planes lifted gracefully into the sky one by one. How I longed to be on them. To be going anywhere, I wouldn’t care. For me, flying equalled freedom, an escape.
Fast forward to me sporting less floppy hair, I find myself sitting in Gatwick Airport eating scrambled eggs, remembering those reveries.
There is something I love about airports. The smell of sweet leather and sanitising liquid mixed with jet fuel, the constant hum of chattering passengers and clinking cutlery and the allure of the Herb Ritts-esque Eau de Toilette posters in Duty Free promising a life of sun, sea and oiled abs (I make a quick mental note to start swimming again before my mind wanders).
Being an avid people watcher (and no that is not the same as being a nosey parker in case you were wondering), I love to observe. I think about the individuals surrounding me and their personal journeys through life. What brought them to this moment in time? Where are they heading and what will they find?
Being in this environment never fails to be a sensory feast for me and always triggers a myriad of ponderings.
Every day, we are faced with challenges and opportunities that ultimately change our lives forever and I can’t help but wonder how my journey today is going to shape mine and all that it means.
Once in a while it is important to stop looking up at our destination board and take a deep breath. It is, after all, just a journey.
Let’s sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.



Have you ever been on a journey that has changed your life? I would love to hear about it in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love...