Goolgle Analytics Tracking Code

Sunday 9 October 2011

Seasons of change


It happens once a year, and every time, it creeps up so silently that it takes a while to realise that things have actually changed.
Usually, it comes with a slight drop in temperature, then a subtle adjustment in the quality of light. Mornings grow slightly darker and evening sunsets show up just that little bit earlier.
Walking towards the cocoon of the tube, I look down and there they were... Adorning the pavement with gold, amber and russet, leaves which were once a bright green, now lay crisping at my feet. Where did they come from? I don't remember seeing them yesterday.
Something magical happened overnight.
The season changed and brought with it new opportunities to let go and move forward. For a while it looked as if everything was dying. Trees growing bare and the chill hits the air.
It is a perfect time to reflect on the year and glance at the things which have happened over the passing months. Autumn is a season for stripping everything away and gently releasing old habits to start afresh, safe in the knowledge that every season is just a new beginning. It’s refreshing to take a moment to feel the shift happening all around us and become a part of it.
I take that moment now as I playfully kick the leaves to watch as they displace and settle. A sense of freedom washes over me as I fasten my coat up against the cool evening air and continue my journey home.

4 comments:

  1. Jeff how are you? I loved this post! Thank you... one of my favourite poems is Yeats' The Trees are in their Autumn Beauty... autumn has a way of plucking gently on my heart strings. Have a wonderful day filled with reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sunshine! Thanks so much. I'm well and enjoying the start of Autumn. How's the change of season for you? I absolutely love that poem too. There is something magical about this time of year.
    Hope you have a wonderful day too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that´s the nice thing about nature. you can count on the fact that change WILL come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a certainty in life. I am starting to relax with change a lot more these days and flow with the seasons. It's actually quite freeing.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love...